Skillset for a Fabrication Designer or Rude Mechanic
March 11, 2015
I saw this job advertised on the NADAA blog and thought it would be an awesome place to work, super creative and innovative designs. The job requires an interesting combination of skills, and hand tool use as well no doubt.
How does this compare with say…Chris Schwarz Rude Mechanic ?
NADAAA is currently seeking a Designer to join our Fabrication Lab (NADLAB), as well as our architectural team, in the design of progressive projects ranging from gallery installations to large institutional buildings. Applicants must have the following qualifications to be considered for the position:
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture degree
- 2-5 years of professional experience.
- Expertise with conventional wood and metal-working tools
- Digital fabrication experience including the programming and operation of CNC routers (Mastercam proficiency required).
- High-level 3D modeling and scripting abilities in Rhino3D (proficiency in Grasshopper and Rhinoscript/Python required).
- Experience working with 3D printers and laser-cutters
Other position qualifications include:
- Strong design and graphics skills
- Experience with construction documents and high level presentation production.
- Knowledge of space programming, contract documents (including detailing, specifications, production management, design production), and contract administration
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills with various levels of individuals including clients, consultants, and architects
- Experience as team leader and project manager
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, collaborate on large teams and work well under deadlines
Type of Employment: Full Time Location: Boston Start date: ASAP Contact Information: Please submit qualified resumes and portfolios in PDF format under 20 MB to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send hard copy portfolios.